The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein

General news and discussion.

The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein

Postby chris » Tue May 19, 2009 11:49 am

Lyn Garry is reading extracts from The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein on her radio show, Unwelcome Guests, the book is available to read online:

I have put the entire text on line because I believe it is important for these ideas to circulate as widely as possible in the present time of crisis. In the book, I write of a coming shift from a profit-taking economy to a gift economy, from an economy of "how can I take the most?" to "how can I best give of my gifts?" This future, in which the anxiety of "making a living" no longer drives us, will arise out of the transformation in the human sense of self that is gathering today. But it is NOT ONLY A FUTURE. We can live it now too. It is in this spirit that I offer you The Ascent of Humanity on line.

The shows in which Lyn Garry reads material from Charles Eisenstein are these ones:

I haven't read the book but it should be awesome based on the extracts I have heard...
chris

Re: The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein

Postby chris » Tue May 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Here is a video of him from last year,

This is a 1 hour 24 min lecture from May 6, 2008 addressing the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia.
chris

A Gathering of the Tribe

Postby chris » Tue May 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Some extracts from the last article on his blog:

A Gathering of the Tribe

As the multiple crises of money, health, energy, ecology, and more converge upon us, the world is going to collapse for millions more. We must stand ready to welcome them into the tribe. We must stand ready to welcome them back home.

The time of loneliness, of walking the path alone, of thinking maybe the world is right and I am wrong for refusing to participate fully in it... that time is over. For years we walked around talking about how wrong everything is: the political system, the educational system, religious institutions, the military-industrial complex, the banking industry, the medical system -- really, any system you study deeply enough. We needed to talk about it because we needed to assure ourselves that we were not, in fact, crazy. We needed as well to talk about alternatives, the way things should be. "We" should eliminate CFCs. "They" should stop cutting down the rain forests. "The government" should declare no fishing zones. This talk, too, was necessary, for it validated our vision of the world that could be: a peaceful and exuberant humanity living in co-creative partnership with a wild garden earth.

The time, though, for talking merely to assure ourselves that we are right is coming to an end. People everywhere are tired of it, tired of attending yet another lecture, organizing yet another discussion group online. We want more. A few weeks ago as I was preparing for a speaking trip to Oregon, the organizers told me, "These people don't need to be told what the problems are. They don't even need to be told what the solutions are. They already know that, and many of them are already in action. What they want is to take their activism to the next level."

To do that, to fully step into one's mission here on earth, one must experience an inner shift that cannot be merely willed upon oneself. It does not normally happen through the gathering or receiving of information, but through various kinds of experiences that reach deep into our unconscious minds.

We are at the beginning of a new phase. Our gatherings are not a substitute for action; they are an initiation into a state of being from which the necessary kinds of actions arise. Soon you will say, with wonder and serenity, "I know what to do, and I trust myself to do it."
chris

Return to News and Discussion