Local Lib Dems survey reveals energy fears

General news and discussion.

Local Lib Dems survey reveals energy fears

Postby steve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Nether Edge Focus is a Lib Dem council news sheet. The latest issue arrived yesterday with findings from a recent survey they've done. This said:

The survey results are being collated and analysed but it already
clear that people are very concerned about the rising cost of food,
energy and fuel.

Paul Scriven said "These surveys are vital, as they tell me what
the people of Nether Edge are thinking, and it helps me prioritise
my campaigning. We will be pressing to make sure that hard working
families are not hit by rising costs...

Don't know if the same is true elsewhere in the city but it's probably so.

However it struck me that now might be a good time to make the council aware of Transition Sheffield, possibly talk to them about peak oil, etc.

Now might also be a good time to publicise ourselves elsewhere: media, radio, leaflets etc.

Any thoughts?
steve

Peak Oil & Fuel Poverty

Postby chris » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 pm

There was an interesting presentation made on Monday to APPGOPO about fuel poverty and insulating the housing stock:

Peak Oil & Fuel Poverty

On 11 November 2008, Dr Brenda Boardman (Oxford University, Environmental Change Institute), addressed the APPGOPO on the issues of oil prices and fuel poverty.

Click here to download the audio (40mb, 1hr, MP3) & Powerpoint slides

Insulation, insulation, insulation....
chris

Re: Local Lib Dems survey reveals energy fears

Postby steve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:01 pm

There's a new book just out which seems very pertinent: Preparing for Peak Oil: local authorities and the energy crisis.

There's a review by Rob Hopkins and the 40 page book can be downloaded here for free.

Rob Hopkins says:
‘Preparing for Peak Oil’ is an excellent guidebook for anyone who wants to bring their local authority up to speed on energy depletion and climate change issues. It is clear, well presented, and achieves an excellent balance between presenting the hard facts about peak oil alongside some positive and inspiring examples of change, as well as some clear and well thought through thinking tools.

And:
this is a superb document, and one which many of you working with your local authorities (Step 9 of the 12 Steps of Transition is “Build a Bridge to Local Government”) will find highly useful.
steve

Postby Gordon Ferguson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:07 am

For the practically minded, I am finding document CE184 from the Energy Saving Trust very useful. It is document 15 in this list:
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Resources/Publications-and-Case-Studies
This site is full of really useful stuff.

Nether Edge, like many parts of Sheffield, is full of solid walled terraced houses, which are a heating and insulation nightmare.

I am currently doing the roof of my own terraced home - myself, and intend eventually to do the whole house.

Our neighbourhood group (ECCO - Endcliffe Corner Community Organisation - no website) has an 'Energy Saving' group looking at practicla ways of helping all the people in our community.
Gordon Ferguson

Postby chris » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

Gordon Ferguson wrote:For the practically minded, I am finding document CE184 from the Energy Saving Trust very useful. It is document 15 in this list:
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Resources/Publications-and-Case-Studies
This site is full of really useful stuff.

I agree, I started a new thread just on this topic, I'd really like to hear more details about what you are doing!

Gordon Ferguson wrote:Nether Edge, like many parts of Sheffield, is full of solid walled terraced houses, which are a heating and insulation nightmare.

Yep.

Gordon Ferguson wrote:I am currently doing the roof of my own terraced home - myself, and intend eventually to do the whole house.

Our neighbourhood group (ECCO - Endcliffe Corner Community Organisation - no website) has an 'Energy Saving' group looking at practicla ways of helping all the people in our community.

Fantastic, we need this kind of thing to start happening everywhere!
chris

Postby steve » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:04 am

The way into the council for neighbourhoods is currently 'Area Panels'. Look here for more info about the one that includes Nether Edge:
http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-are ... ether-edge

These are soon to be replaced by larger 'comunity assemblies' - look here:
http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-c ... assemblies

There is also the Nether Edge Neighbourhood Group - look here:
http://www.netheredge.org.uk/

Thx Gordon for this info.
steve

Return to News and Discussion